April 3, 2025 The Best Source of News, Culture, Lifestyle for Culver City, Mar Vista, Del Rey, Palms and West Los Angeles

Suge Knight collapses in court after judge sets $25 million bail

Suge Knight.
Suge Knight.

Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight collapsed in court today, shortly after a judge set his bail at $25 million in a case in which he’s accused of running down two men in Compton, killing one of them.

The 49-year-old Knight collapsed, knocking his head on a chair and falling unconscious, after being brought back into the courtroom. It marked at least the third time he has been hospitalized following a court hearing.

Defense attorney Matthew Fletcher said he noted that Knight was sweating profusely and that his right eye was fluttering and asked him what was wrong. He said his client said he hadn’t had his medication since Thursday.

“He’s being treated worse than Charles Manson,” Fletcher told reporters of Knight’s solitary confinement.

Knight’s collapse came within minutes after a hearing in which Judge Ronald S. Coen agreed to the prosecution’s request to set bail at $25 million. Knight had been held without bail since Feb. 2, shortly before being charged with one count each of murder and attempted murder and two counts of hit-and- run resulting in death or serious injury to another person.

At the time of his arrest Jan. 30 in connection with the crash a day earlier, he had been free on $500,000 bail in a separate case in which he and comedian Micah “Katt” Williams are charged with robbery for allegedly stealing a camera Sept. 5 from a paparazzo in Beverly Hills.

Knight’s attorney argued that the prosecution made “a mockery of this” by requesting $25 million bail — an amount he called “absurd.”‘ He asked the judge to set bail at $2 million, saying his client is “probably one of the most recognizable people in Los Angeles” and does not pose a flight risk.

Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Barnes countered that she was “appalled” by what she referred to in the prosecution’s court filing on bail Thursday as Knight’s “extensive history of violence, both in this case and over the last 30 years.”

The judge said he felt the request for $25 million bail was “reasonable and it is so set.” He noted that Knight could face multiple life prison terms if he is convicted of the charges.

Knight was ordered to return to court April 13 for a preliminary hearing that will determine if there is enough evidence to require him to stand trial for the death of 55-year-old Terry Carter.

He’s also charged with the attempted murder of Cle “Bone” Sloan, who survived being struck at 2:55 p.m. Jan. 29 in the parking lot of Tam’s Burgers in the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue near Central Avenue.

Knight’s attorney contends that his client was attacked “in broad daylight” after being lured to the parking lot and that his client had a right to act in self-defense to try to get away from his assailants.

The prosecutor told the judge that Knight has been convicted of crimes in California and Nevada, along with federal court, and that he was on bail in the robbery case at the time of Carter’s death.

In the prosecution’s court filing Thursday, Barnes wrote that Knight is a “prolific and unrepentant criminal” whose “shameless life of crime” began when he was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in Las Vegas.

In February 1995, Knight pleaded guilty to two counts of assault with a firearm and was subsequently sentenced to nine years in prison after he was found to have violated the terms of his probation, according to the motion.

Barnes wrote that once Knight was released from prison in 2002, he repeatedly violated parole and was sent back behind bars at least three times.

“Since his release from prison custody, Defendant Knight has continued his repugnant life of crime,” according to the motion.

The prosecution alleges that Knight has been implicated in a money- laundering scheme that lasted more than a decade and in an “ongoing extortion scheme” that apparently requires new artists to pay a “tax” to Knight when they come to Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

Knight, a Compton native and former football player, co-founded Death Row Records, which in its heyday in the early 1990s generated revenues of up to $100 million per year.

He helped launch some of rap’s biggest acts, including Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and the late Tupac Shakur. Knight was with Shakur when the rapperwas gunned down in Las Vegas in 1996.

 

Tags: in Crime, News
Related Posts

Scoop Dreams Come True: Van Leeuwen Launches New Beverly Hills Shop

April 3, 2025

April 3, 2025

Van Leeuwen’s Beverly Hills Opening Comes With Sweet Perks Van Leeuwen Ice Cream, a New York City-born brand celebrated for...

WeHo’s WeHappy Wednesdays Serve Up Big Discounts In Addition to Zero Parking Fees

April 3, 2025

April 3, 2025

Free Parking and $5 Cocktails? WeHo Makes Wednesdays Worth It The City of West Hollywood and the West Hollywood Chamber...

Saijo Hand Roll Rolls into Culver City with Premium Japanese Ingredients

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Binchotan-Fired Perfection: Saijo Rolls Out Premium Sushi in West LA A new destination for hand rolls and Japanese culinary craftsmanship...

(Video) Check Out Bernie’s, a New Pop Up at Citizen Public Market in Culver City

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Made with fresh frozen fruit and a toasted merengue topping these flavors are irresistible. The pop up will be at...

From Cocktails to Coffee: U.S. Tariffs Threaten Imports, Jobs, and Your Grocery Bill

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Major Price Hikes Expected for Coffee, Wine, Chocolate, and Butter  A sweeping new set of tariffs announced by former President...

Levain Bakery to Open Venice Location with Special Guests and Charitable Twist

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Bigger Than a Cookie: Levain’s Venice Opening Is a Flavorful Fundraiser Levain Bakery, the cult-favorite cookie destination founded in New...

LAX Airport Server Finds Hate-Filled Message From Unidentified Diners

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Waiter Says He Was Stunned by the Message Left by Customers Guillermo Ortiz, who works at Planet Hollywood inside the...

Sunset Strip Staple Le Petit Four Shuts Down After Landlord Pulls the Plug

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

End of an Era: Le Petit Four Forced to Close in West Hollywood In a stunning reversal to the upbeat...

Metro LA Pushes Back Sepulveda Transit Community Meetings

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Environmental Review Delay Prompts Metro to Reschedule  Metro announced that community meetings scheduled for early April to discuss the Sepulveda...

County Board Approves New Homeless Agency, Redirecting Millions from Existing System

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

With Billions on the Line, LA County Moves to Centralize Homeless Response Los Angeles County is making a dramatic shift...

Put the Phone Down: LAPD and CHP Targets Distracted Drivers in April Crackdown

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Hands-Free Law Violations Could Now Cost You More Than Just a Fine Throughout April, the Los Angeles Police Department will...

Five Arrested in Culver City After Attempted Carjacking and Vandalism Incident

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Gun, Warrants, and Broken Glass: Culver City Police Tackle Two Crimes Police arrested four juveniles in connection with an attempted...

Kim Delaney, Partner Cleared After Weekend Arrest in Marina del Rey

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Emmy-Winning Actress and Partner James Morgan Released Kim Delaney, the Emmy-winning actress recognized for her roles in NYPD Blue and...

(Video) Spending an Afternoon at Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Go To Pacpark.com For Tickets and More Information. Go To https://t.co/fDDgcY6b3e For Tickets and More Information.#amusementpark #rides #rollercoaster #summer #spring...

Matū Kai to Debut in Brentwood With Grass Fed Wagyu and Global Flair This Week

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Farm-To-Fork Beef, Wood-Fired Flavors, and Sustainability Meet on San Vicente The team behind Beverly Hills’ acclaimed steakhouse Matū will soon...