April 3, 2025 The Best Source of News, Culture, Lifestyle for Culver City, Mar Vista, Del Rey, Palms and West Los Angeles

Suge Knight receiving hospital treatment

Knight  was taken to a hospital Tuesday for treatment of reported chest pains after a court hearing in Compton. (Courtesy Photo)
Knight was taken to a hospital Tuesday for treatment of reported chest pains after a court hearing in Compton. (Courtesy Photo)

One-time rap impresario Marion “Suge” Knight was receiving hospital treatment today,  authorities said.

Knight, 49, was taken to a hospital Tuesday for treatment of reported chest pains after a court hearing in Compton, where he pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run for allegedly running down two men in Compton, killing one and injuring the other.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Kelvin Moody said early this morning that Knight was still in the hospital. The name of the hospital to which Knight was taken has not been disclosed.

Knight wore orange, jail-issued clothing for his appearance in the Compton courthouse Tuesday morning. The judge initially assigned to the case, Judge John J. Cheroske, recused himself from the case, saying he had represented both of the victims when he was a lawyer. The case was then handed over to Judge Ricardo Ocampo, who handled the arraignment.

Knight is due back in court Monday for a bail review hearing, during which defense attorney David Kenner will ask a judge to review the revocation of the $2 million bail initially granted in the case.

Charges arising from Thursday’s fatal hit-and-run in Compton were filed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office Monday, when a court commissioner also revoked Knight’s $2 bail on grounds that he is “a possible flight risk” and a three-strikes candidate. The Sheriff’s Department added that “possible witness intimidation issues and a criminal past” were also factors.

The complaint against Knight, who could be incarcerated for life if convicted of the charges he now faces, includes an allegation that he committed a serious and violent felony while out on bail in an unrelated robbery case, as well as use of a deadly weapon and causing great bodily injury allegations. Knight has prior convictions, making this a third-strike case, according to the complaint.

Knight surrendered early Friday and was booked on suspicion of murder. The hit-and-run occurred around 2:55 p.m. Thursday in the parking lot of Tam’s Burgers in the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue, near Central Avenue. Knight allegedly drove his pickup truck backward and forward, killing Terry Carter, 55, and injuring 51-year-old Cle Stone, who was treated at a hospital.

Knight’s attorney at the time, James Blatt, confirmed Knight was behind the wheel of the pickup that struck the men but said he acted out of fear in trying to escape from as many as four people who attacked him. Blatt also claimed that Knight had been unaware that he hit two men with the pickup, which was later found in a Westwood parking lot.

Kenner also said his client was acting in self-defense.

Lt. John Corina, a sheriff’s homicide detective, told reporters late last week that investigators believe Knight intentionally struck the men and that he was not acting out of a reasonable fear.

Corina said Knight had gotten into an argument at a film shoot for a promotional video for “Straight Out of Compton,” a biopic of the Compton rap group N.W.A. Knight, and was told to leave. The argument resumed about 20 minutes later at the eatery about three miles away.

Corina alleged that Stone exchanged punches with Knight through the open window of his truck before the rapper intentionally ran him over, then struck Carter — who had been standing next to Stone — while accelerating forward.

Knight’s lawyer described Carter as a friend of his client’s, and Corina said the victim was not believed to have been involved in the altercation with Knight.

Stone, an actor/filmmaker who appeared in the film “Training Day,” suffered “a very badly mangled left foot” and a head injury, according to his attorney, Michael Shapiro.     Knight co-founded Death Row Records, which in its heyday in the early 1990s was generating revenues of about $100 million per year. He helped launch some of rap’s biggest acts, including Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur, and was with Shakur the night he was slain in 1996.

Knight served five years in prison for assault and federal weapons violations and, after his release in 2001, spent another 10 months behind bars for violating parole by hitting a Hollywood nightclub valet. He was shot a half- dozen times last August at a Los Angeles-area nightclub. No arrests have been made in that case.

Related Posts

WeHo’s WeHappy Wednesdays Serve Up Big Discounts In Addition to Zero Parking Fees

April 3, 2025

April 3, 2025

Free Parking and $5 Cocktails? WeHo Makes Wednesdays Worth It The City of West Hollywood and the West Hollywood Chamber...

Saijo Hand Roll Rolls into Culver City with Premium Japanese Ingredients

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Binchotan-Fired Perfection: Saijo Rolls Out Premium Sushi in West LA A new destination for hand rolls and Japanese culinary craftsmanship...

(Video) Check Out Bernie’s, a New Pop Up at Citizen Public Market in Culver City

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Made with fresh frozen fruit and a toasted merengue topping these flavors are irresistible. The pop up will be at...

From Cocktails to Coffee: U.S. Tariffs Threaten Imports, Jobs, and Your Grocery Bill

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Major Price Hikes Expected for Coffee, Wine, Chocolate, and Butter  A sweeping new set of tariffs announced by former President...

Levain Bakery to Open Venice Location with Special Guests and Charitable Twist

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Bigger Than a Cookie: Levain’s Venice Opening Is a Flavorful Fundraiser Levain Bakery, the cult-favorite cookie destination founded in New...

LAX Airport Server Finds Hate-Filled Message From Unidentified Diners

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Waiter Says He Was Stunned by the Message Left by Customers Guillermo Ortiz, who works at Planet Hollywood inside the...

Sunset Strip Staple Le Petit Four Shuts Down After Landlord Pulls the Plug

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

End of an Era: Le Petit Four Forced to Close in West Hollywood In a stunning reversal to the upbeat...

Metro LA Pushes Back Sepulveda Transit Community Meetings

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

Environmental Review Delay Prompts Metro to Reschedule  Metro announced that community meetings scheduled for early April to discuss the Sepulveda...

County Board Approves New Homeless Agency, Redirecting Millions from Existing System

April 2, 2025

April 2, 2025

With Billions on the Line, LA County Moves to Centralize Homeless Response Los Angeles County is making a dramatic shift...

Put the Phone Down: LAPD and CHP Targets Distracted Drivers in April Crackdown

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Hands-Free Law Violations Could Now Cost You More Than Just a Fine Throughout April, the Los Angeles Police Department will...

Five Arrested in Culver City After Attempted Carjacking and Vandalism Incident

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Gun, Warrants, and Broken Glass: Culver City Police Tackle Two Crimes Police arrested four juveniles in connection with an attempted...

Kim Delaney, Partner Cleared After Weekend Arrest in Marina del Rey

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Emmy-Winning Actress and Partner James Morgan Released Kim Delaney, the Emmy-winning actress recognized for her roles in NYPD Blue and...

(Video) Spending an Afternoon at Pacific Park on the Santa Monica Pier

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Go To Pacpark.com For Tickets and More Information. Go To https://t.co/fDDgcY6b3e For Tickets and More Information.#amusementpark #rides #rollercoaster #summer #spring...

Matū Kai to Debut in Brentwood With Grass Fed Wagyu and Global Flair This Week

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Farm-To-Fork Beef, Wood-Fired Flavors, and Sustainability Meet on San Vicente The team behind Beverly Hills’ acclaimed steakhouse Matū will soon...

Mid-City Freeway Death Under Investigation After Caltrans Workers Find Blanket-Covered Body

April 1, 2025

April 1, 2025

Woman Discovered on 10 Freeway Shoulder Identified; CHP Launches Probe Caltrans workers discovered a woman’s dead body around 9:00 a.m....