August 31, 2025 The Best Source of News, Culture, Lifestyle for Culver City, Mar Vista, Del Rey, Palms and West Los Angeles

Former rap mogul Suge Knight pleads not guilty

Knight pleaded not guilty today to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run. (Courtesy Photo)
Knight pleaded not guilty today to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run. (Courtesy Photo)

Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight pleaded not guilty today to charges of murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run stemming from an incident in which he allegedly ran down two men in Compton deliberately after an argument, killing one and injuring the other.

Knight was ordered to return to court Monday for a bail review hearing requested by his attorney to review the revocation of the $2 million bail that was initially granted in the case.

Charges arising from Thursday’s fatal hit-and-run in Compton were filed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office Monday, when a court commissioner also revoked Knight’s $2 bail on grounds that he is “a possible flight risk” and a three-strikes candidate. According to a sheriff’s department statement, “possible witness intimidation issues and a criminal past” were also factors.

The complaint against Knight, who could be incarcerated for life if convicted of the charges he now faces, includes an allegation that he committed a serious and violent felony while out on bail in an unrelated robbery case, as well as use of a deadly weapon and causing great bodily injury allegations. Knight has prior convictions, making this a third-strike case, according to the complaint.

The 49-year-old Knight surrendered early Friday and was booked on suspicion of murder. The hit-and-run occurred around 2:55 p.m. Thursday in the parking lot of Tam’s Burgers in the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue, near Central Avenue. Knight allegedly drove his pickup truck backward and forward, killing Terry Carter, 55, and injuring 51-year-old Cle Stone, who was treated at a hospital.

Knight’s attorney, James Blatt, confirmed his client was behind the wheel of the pickup that struck the men, but said he acted out of fear in trying to escape as many as four people who attacked him. Blatt also claimed that Knight had been unaware that he had hit two men with the pickup, which was later found in a Westwood parking lot.

Lt. John Corina, a sheriff’s homicide detective, told reporters late last week that investigators believe Knight intentionally struck the men and that he was not acting out of a reasonable fear.

Corina said Knight had gotten into an argument at a film shoot for a promotional video for “Straight Out of Compton,” a biopic of the Compton rap group N.W.A. Knight, and was told to leave. The argument resumed about 20 minutes later at the eatery about three miles away.

Corina alleged the 51-year-old victim exchanged punches with Knight through the open window of his truck before the rapper intentionally ran him over, then struck Carter — who had been standing next to Stone — while accelerating forward.

Knight’s lawyer described Carter as a friend of his client’s, and Corina said the victim was not believed to have been involved in the altercation with Knight.

The web site TMZ.com reported that surveillance cameras at the Tam’s Burgers crime scene were broken and that cameras at a nearby bank, drug store and a competing fast-food outlet were pointing away from the crime scene. Sheriff’s deputies, however, have said they have video of the dispute.

Knight is awaiting trial on a robbery charge stemming from the alleged theft of a camera from a paparazzo in Beverly Hills last September. He is charged in that case, along with comedian Micah “Katt” Williams, and faces up to 30 years to life in prison if convicted in the robbery case.     Knight co-founded Death Row Records, which in its heyday in the early 1990s was generating revenues of about $100 million per year. He helped launch some of rap’s biggest acts, including Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur, and was with Shakur the night he was slain in 1996.

Knight served five years in prison for assault and federal weapons violations and, after his release in 2001, spent another 10 months behind bars for violating parole by hitting a Hollywood nightclub valet.

He was shot a half-dozen times last August at a Los Angeles-area nightclub. No arrests have been made in that case.

Related Posts

Film Producer With Credits on The Apprentice and The Fallout Charged in $12M Scheme

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

Accused Billed for Fake COVID Tests, Misappropriated Film Funds, and Laundered Money Federal agents in South Carolina have arrested a...

Bus Lane Crackdown Coming to West Hollywood Under Metro LA Program

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

After a 60-day warning period, Tickets Will Be Issued for $293 Each Drivers who block bus lanes in West Hollywood...

Los Angeles City Council Bans ‘Disaster Tours’ in Pacific Palisades Wildfire Zone

August 30, 2025

August 30, 2025

Resolution Restricts Heavy Buses While Crews Repair Roads, Slopes, Utilities Tour buses will no longer be allowed to operate in...

Santa Monica Flea-Borne Typhus Cluster Under Investigation as L.A. Cases Rise

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

County Confirms 106 Cases So Far in 2025 After a Record 187 Last Year Health officials are warning Los Angeles...

CHP Launches Annual Statewide Labor Day Crackdown on Impaired Driving

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

All Available Officers Will Patrol California Roads August 29–September 1 The California Highway Patrol will deploy every available officer this...

Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Work Truck in Brentwood

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

Authorities Reported the Crash Near Mulholland Drive On Friday morning in Brentwood, a pedestrian was struck and killed by a...

Toxic Avenger Reboot Aims to Smash Box Office and Medical Debt on Labor Day Weekend

August 29, 2025

August 29, 2025

Film’s Release Comes With a Promise to Erase Millions in Medical Bills The upcoming release of The Toxic Avenger will...

Culver City Voters Lean Toward Passing Sales Tax Measure CL

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

Early Results Show 67% Support for the Quarter-Cent Tax Preliminary results released Tuesday night show strong voter support for Measure...

Beverly Hills Schools Halt Israeli Flag Display Despite School Board Vote

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

Superintendent Cites Safety Concerns After Narrow 3–2 Decision Despite a 3–2 Board of Education vote to display the Israeli flag...

Los Angeles County Public Health Probe Sparks Nationwide Egg Recall Over Salmonella

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

More Than 95 Cases Tied to Country Eggs in 14 States; Do Not Eat Affected Cartons Los Angeles Public health...

(Video) The Opening of Mr. Charlie’s with Santa Monica Mayor Lana Negrete

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

Vegan burger restaurant with brightly colored decor now open on 26th street across fromthe Brentwood Country Mart. The Opening of...

California Pizza Kitchen Debuts Heart-Shaped Pizza Celebrating Swift–Kelce

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

13 Days of Engagement Pizzas, and Return of Hot Honey Flavors California Pizza Kitchen is rolling out a series of...

Culver Hotel Celebrates 101 Years With 101 Anniversary Menu and Live Music

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

Guests Can Enjoy a Four-Course Meal, Nightly Performances, Trivia Contest The historic Culver Hotel is celebrating its 101st anniversary this...

Westside Chefs Shine at the Manhattan Beach Food & Wine Festival in September

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

South Bay’s Culinary Festival Returns With Two Nights of Food, Wine, and Music Santa Monica, Westchester, Los Angeles, and West...

(Video) Come Tour The Willows Community School!

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

Sign up for a tour at The Willows and come see what makes our school such a vibrant, inspiring place...